Top tips for April gardening
- Prepare the soil for the growing season ahead by digging in plenty of well rotted manure or compost. You can also add a general fertiliser like blood, fish and bone.
- Tidy and cut back any old dead foliage from perennial plants to encourage new growth.
- Lift and divide any large clumps of perennial plants to improve their vigour and continue to plant new perennials and summer flowering bulbs.
- Carry a small note pad with you when out visiting gardens or shows to keep notes of the bulbs and plants you like. Write down the names as well as the colours and heights of your favourites.
- Treat yourself to the Yellow Book 2015 (National Garden Scheme) in which you will find a huge variety of creative gardens tended by ordinary people to visit for inspiration for your own garden.