Let our bee-friendly bulbs transform your garden this spring.
With autumn approaching we’re rushing around and making the most of the last of summer’s bounty. The dahlias have been trimmed (in the hope of another flush of flowers) and we're thinking about our tulips for the spring!
In 2018, we decided to source all our spring-flowering bulbs free from neonicotinoid pesticides. These chemicals have been found to adversely affect the health of our precious pollinators so we've decided to demand all our spring bulbs are ‘bee-friendly’.
What are Neonicotinoids?
Neonicotinoids are a type of pesticide that has gained popularity within the agricultural world as they are effective against a wide range of insects. In the flower bulb world specifically, neonicotinoids are used to drench bulbs to keep aphids and other sap-sucking insects off plants. However, research has found that this is harmful to our favourite pollinators and because of this, there is a growing trend to produce bulbs that are free of pesticides.
Thankfully, neonicotinoids have now been banned in the UK and Europe, meaning there is a lot more choice when buying bulbs and you can be assured that our bee-friendly spring bulbs have not been treated with neonicotinoids.
Where we haven't been able to guarantee these chemicals have been used we've had to replace many of our tried and true favourites with new, but equally fabulous spring bulbs that are indeed bee-friendly. So, if you're hankering after the gorgeous tulips you grew a few years ago, but they're no longer available, fret not: here's our list of brilliant replacements.
- Tulip Cheers replaces Tulip Calgary Flames
- Tulip White Dream replaces Tulip Royal Virgin
- Tulip Yellow Flight replaces Tulip Yellow King
- Tulip Silk Road replaces Tulip Verona
- Tulip Gorilla replaces Tulip Curly Sue
- Tulip Daytona replaces Tulip Swan Wings
- Tulip Continental replaces Tulip Cafe Noir
- Tulip Jackpot replaces Tulip Fontainbleu
- Tulip Mascara replaces Tulip Jan Reus
- Tulip Lighting Sun replaces Tulip Orange Sun
- Tulip Salmon van Eijk replaces Tulip Sake
- Tulip Florijn Chic replaces Tulip Cistula
- Tulip Cartouche replaces Tulip Belicia
- Tulip Royal Virgin replaces Tulip White Marvel
And for completeness sake, some tulips are no longer grown or the harvest was particularly poor. We've done our best to replace them with good alternatives where possible:
- Tulip Ayann replaces Tulip Recreado
- Tulip Big Love replaces Tulip Survivor
- Tulip Amazing Parrot replaces Tulip Irene
- Tulip White Rebel replaces Tulip Super Parrot
- Tulip Dragon King replaces Tulip Colour Spectacle
Browse our collection of bee-friendly spring bulbs now or for help and advice, call our team on 0161 747 4000.